Tuesday, March 18, 2008

QIK! Watch my Video

So I finally got Qik going today, which is cool cause now I can stream live video onto the Internet straight from my phone, wherever I am! I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for, but it's very cool that it's even possible (and so easy).

After being 'invited' a while back, I couldnt get it going on my Nokia E61i due to a 'Certificate Error'. I tried a few things then gave up on it until today when I emailed Qik support. And whatd'ya know, the support was SUPER quick. I got an email response with the fix in like 1 minute or something (thanks, Jane). Here's the fix for installing an unsigned app onto a Symbian phone:
Go to Main Menu > Tools > App Manager
Select Options and then Settings and make sure the following is set correctly:
Software Installation = All
Online Cert Check = Off

So here's my first Qik 'Live' video stream (Driving home from Auckland City, over the Harbour Bridge, but mostly sitting in traffic - a nice sunny day though!):


The other cool thing with Qik is that while you're streaming the people watching can send you comments which come up on the Mobile's screen - so its fully interactive. You can also get it to update Twitter & Blogger when you stream (although when I selected this as an option it did neither today - for some reason). I had some technical difficulties with my first stream - firstly to mount my E61i on the dashboard. Luckily I had some Scotch tape in the glovebox (leftover from posting & wrapping my Xbox 360 back to MS for the Red Ring of Death - again), so I taped the phone to the side of the Windscreen mount for my TomTom GPS. The last one - which killed my stream before I actually got home - was a basic one: The phone ran out of batteries. It seems that Streaming live video over the Internet SUCKS the battery life out of your phone :-)

I can't get over how good the video & audio quality is though, considering the basic technologies involved. Live broadcasts with expensive equipment are soon becoming a thing of the past!

QIK | My Videos

2 comments:

janefu528 said...

Thanks~^_^

janefu528 said...

Thank you ^_^