Tuesday, January 08, 2008

In car GPS navigation...again


I finally gave in today, and picked up a TomTom One XL in-car satellite navigation system. I used to use the TomTom Navigator software when I lived in the UK, but when I got back to NZ I couldn't get hold of any decent software for my iPaq, so I've gone without. Until today.

I thought I'd done a pretty good job shopping around and finding the cheapest price, but then I walked into J B Hifi and found they had them for $120 lower than RRP ($488). If only I'd have waited a couple of hours longer :-(

I have to say that the new little boxes are very nice. Still have all the features of the old Nav Software, but are quick to startup, use, and easy to update (both the software and the maps can be updated online through PC-USB connection).

Now all I need to find is some decent New Zealand Points of Interest. I wonder whether my old POI creation software will work with the One XL...

1 comment:

Peter Cronwright said...

Check out my blog post here. You can get the Speed Camera POI's.
http://peterctech.blogspot.com/2007/03/gps-car-navigation-points-of-interest.html

Also I found recently this website Zenbu which has a database of NZ which you can download. It's not designed for GPS's but you maybe able to extract some useful info from it like Takeaways or something.
http://www.zenbu.co.nz/export