Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gmail gets IMAP support


Outstanding - something I (and probably 1000s of others) have been waiting for, for a very long time (ever since first using Gmail): IMAP is now supported. Yay! Not only that - IMAP over SSL. Excellent news for me - this will make managing my email across multiple PCs and my Nokia E61 much easier.

Thanks Google! Death to POP3!

Settings to note:
Incoming server: imap.gmail.com:993 Using: SSL
Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com:587 Using: TLS

It looks like they are rolling it out to Google Apps users too. The option's not there for me at the moment, so I'll keep checking over the next few days.

I wonder when/if the iPod Touch will ever get the built-in email client.

I found out about it here:
Gmail gets IMAP support - 25 Oct 2007 - NZ Herald: Technology News from New Zealand and around the World

1 comment:

Peter Cronwright said...

Still waiting for Google Apps support on the Java app for mobiles. New version out a few days ago and it is still not supported.