Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bootable USB BartPE

As part of my (never ending, it seems) quest to upgrade my HDD to a 160GB SATA, and install Vista, I recently struggled through booting to a USB stick.

The reason being: If I have an internal HDD in my M400 (the current 80GB) and a secondary HDD in the multi-bay (the new 160GB) I have no CD-Rom capability, which I'll need to boot BartPE and GHOST. I wanted to GHOST from my 80GB to the 160GB so I can keep working, while using the 80GB to try out Vista.

So after much trial and error I followed the following process:
1. Format the USB stick with the HPUSBFW utility (which HP have removed from their download site, but I managed to find here.)
2. Run pe2usb.cmd -f F: to build a BartPE installation on the USB disk (where F: is the drive letter of the USB disk).
3. Change the M400 BIOS setting to boot to USB first. Surprisingly enough this is done through a Windows Control Panel applet. Quite nice really.

So after getting this to work, I can now boot to my 512MB USB key, which runs BartPE and GHOST. So I GHOSTed my HDD (disk-to-disk) and set about changing the drives around, so the 160GB was internal, and what'dya know I ran into another snag.

The 80GB drive is held in a Toshiba drive case, presumably to protect from vibrations etc, and there's a sticker on it which warns against removing the drive from the case. There's only four screws holding the drive into the case, so I thought "no worries" I'll just remove the disk and swap them over. That would have been easy had I not cross-threaded one of the screws when I tried to get it out :-(

I'm now in the search of a suitable tool to remove the offending screw, and/or a Toshiba disk case to store the 2nd HDD in. I'm sure I'll get Vista running one day...

No comments: